Monday, May 31, 2010

Listening and Trust


I listen to people "not listening" on a daily basis, and it frustrates the heck out of me.  That said, I do it too  occasionally.   Judging from my experiences and from my personal development, I think that teaching people listening skills should be a major component in business setting, especially as managers and leaders.  However I also think that organizational trust is the underpinning of our success in leadership positions. 
  
We cannot be present for every single event or problem that may occur on the "front lines."  This means that our employees must have the confidence to speak with us about problems and concerns in the workplace.  Trust opens the communications channels, and helps to make us aware of conditions in the field.  Once the communication channels are open, people will speak and we will listen.  Once they speak and we listen, it makes it easier to unite concerns with proposed solutions.

 I mentioned concerns earlier, but the word "concern" is not to be taken as a negative thing, or a bonafide issue needing rapid resolution - although sometimes that is the case.  Concern in this context means problems that need to be addressed, and other ideas that may benefit the organization.  It's for both reactive (fixing problems[lagging]) and proactive (innovating [leading]) solutions.
Speaking + listening = dialogue. 
Conflict + dialogue = Traction

"Traction pulls you out of the mud." [lagging]
"Traction also helps you accelerate." [leading]

I like metaphors. :-)



Jarrod

No comments:

Post a Comment